I built this Joe Strummer relic project, partly for the hell of it - but also as a gift to a close mate, and lifelong Strummer fan. I've had a good deal of fun playing the guitar in, and I'm genrally pleased with the way the build has gone. The guitar will be moving on soon - so I've got a last chance to look it over, and make any final tweaks and adjustments.
A Joe Strummer telecaster, relic project seems to be a bit of a "right of passage" for self-builders. It's somewhat liberating to be able to put a guitar together whilst having a bit of freedom to "rough up" the finish along the way. Over the last month or so, I’ve managed to finish both the Jaguar and the Strummercaster. It'll be interesting to see how they match up against each other.
Seems like it's setup week in Garageland. Both the Jaguar and Telecaster projects are nearing completion at the same time. With thoughts turning to possibilites for the next project, it's time to setup the Tele and see if it sounds in keeping with its' looks.
The Telecaster control circuit is about a basic a circuit as exists for electric guitars. There's an additional modification in this case - the addition of a treble bleed - but the circuit is simple, and ideal for a relative beginner in guitar electronics like me, to get to know how things get connected
The pickups need to be screwed into place so they can eventually be wired into the guitar circuit. There are a few bits and pieces of hardware to follow up as well, before I need to move on to building and connecting up the switching circuit.
The "Ignore Alien Orders" sticker on Strummer's guitar is iconic. Whilst I'm not out to make an exact replica - I want this crucial part of the build to look authentic.
With the neck, scratchplate, body and now hardware, all having been "aged", and with other bits and pieces in various states of preparation - a couple of days focus should see the Strummercaster finally start to come together.
The neck and body have been evolving and developing separately. I'm keen to get to the point where I can join everything together, and start to work on the guitar as a whole. It makes sense to dress the frets while the neck is off. It's cold in the workshop - and I can get this done on the kitchen table, where it's warm.
The hardware for the telecaster is a collection of old re-used, newly purchased and the odd faux-reliced piece from eBay. The hardware needs to look like it's been around the block a few times - and needs to be in keeping with the look of the build. Time to see if I can work out how to age metal.
I figure the body is about 75% of the way done. It's a good idea to bring the whole project along to the same level - so I want to concentrate on the neck and scratchplate to bring them up to speed.